Spring Maintenance Checklist
With spring quickly approaching it's time to start thinking about preparing for the spring and sprucing up your property. Here are some quick items to check that will make a big difference.
- Use screwdriver to probe the wood trim around windows, doors, and railings and repair any damge
- Repair any leaks or cracks in the caulk that you find
- Repair mortar in the bricks
- Check outside faucets and valves for freeze damage. Turn the water on and place your thumb over the opening. If you can stop the flow of water, the internal pipe is probably damaged and will need to be replaced.
- Clear dryer vent flapper
- Have a qualified heating and cooling contractor clean and service the outside A.C. unit. Clean coils operate more efficiently, and an annual service call will keep the system working at peak performance levels.
- Check the gutters to make sure nothing is loose and that they are facing away from the foundation and there isn't any debris clogging the drains.
- Visually inspect the roof to make sure all the shingles look healthy and none are missing. If anything looks questionable then it is time to call a professional! Making roof repairs yearly is a good way to avoid costly leaks and give your roof a healthy lifetime.
- If you use your chimney regularly, you should have it inspected and cleaned once a year to avoid chimney fires.
- Prune shbrubs and trees that are too close to the house.
- Remove yard debris left over from winter.
- Treat your lawn so it remains healthy and free of pests.
- Power wash any mold, mildew, or stains on the deck, patio, or concrete.
- Check for cracks in concrete or foundation cause by freezing and thawing and foundation gaps from soil pulling away from the home.
- Change interior AC filters.
- Check attic and crawl space for signs of animals.
- Check basement for any dampness.
- Clean garbage disposal.
- Replace storm windows with screens.
- Replace water filters in your refrigerator's coil vents.